Zaxone-SB is a combination of ceftriaxone and sulbactum. Ceftriaxone is beta-lactum class of anti-biotic belonging to the third generation cephalosporin. It is the antibiotic useful for the treatment of severe bacterial infections. It has broad spectrum of activity against gram-positive and gram-negative organism in comparison with to second generation of cephalosporins.
Sulbactum is a beta-lactamase inhibitor which produces its action by destroying the enzyme produced by bacteria.
- Abdominal infections (peritonitis, infections of biliary and gastro-intestinal tract)
- Infections of bones, joints and soft tissues
- Infections in patients with impaired defense mechanism
- Renal and urinary tract infection
- Respiratory tract infections particularly pneumonia, particularly ear, nose and tongue infections
1.5gm every 6hrs
It produces its action by binding to PBPs (Penicillin binding proteins) ceftriaxone inhibits cell wall synthesis. This inhibits peptidoglycan synthesis in transpeptidase step. It produces bactericidal effect by time dependent killing effect.
It is a beta lactamase inhibitor which is usually combined with antibiotics.
After administration it penetrates into body fluids and also achieves levels in cerebrospinal fluid which inhibits most pathogens. This can be administered as both IM/IV
The drug produces dose dependent response, with different rate of absorption. The volume of distribution of ceftriaxone is 5.78 to 13.5 L. It reversibly bound to plasma protein. It can also cross blood brain barrier.
Nearly about 30-67% of the drug is excreted through urine. The drug is also excreted through biliary secretion as microbiologically inactive compound in feces. The elimination half life can be ranged from 5.8 to 8.7 hours
- Patients with allergy to ceftriaxone
- Hyperbilirubinemic neonate
- In premature neonates, it causes the removal of bilirubin from albumin binding sites
- Use with IV calcium administration in neonates
- It gets precipitate in neonates kidney and lungs
- Allergic reaction
- Other ingredients can also causes severe reaction
- Gallbladder diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Stomach or intestinal related diseases